Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Birthday Girl

Where do I begin? Lulu’s birthday bash was a huge success (besides it being deathly hot outside). We had a great turn out and all the dogs got along well. We had everything set up on our deck for the humans, and planned on keeping the dogs gated off down in the yard. However, it was so hot on the deck, we ended up moving chairs down to the grass and just co-mingled. The dogs loved “the watering hole,” especially the two labs. They were both splashing around in what was supposed to be a large water bowl. I guess it became a mini swimming pool instead. Our smallest guests were a Yorkie and Pekingese, and the biggest was a Great Dane. It was a very diverse group to say the least! Lulu was so happy that all her friends came over to celebrate her big day.

The humans snacked on dogs on a stick (corndogs) and tail waggin’ tasty fruit. We had my favorite mini-pies from Pie in the Sky for dessert. I think mini-pies are going to be the next big thing. They are so good and come in many delicious flavors. Watch out cupcakes and cake pops, the pies are going to takeover (at least at my house they are)!

I made little doggie bags for Lulu’s guests to take home. They included yummy wheat-free treats from Just Dogs Gourmet and a little squeaky toy. I also had a birthday cake made for Lulu. We didn’t want to cause a fight, so we waited until most of the dogs left before we let Lu dig in. I’m pretty sure she liked it considering she kept begging for more. Lu is not a food-motivated dog, so it’s easy to tell when she really likes something. I had planned on making the cake myself, but when I was looking online I discovered that Just Dogs makes the cutest cakes, so I thought, why not? I called and they were able to get it done in no time! Less work for me=happy dog mom.

In “Lu” of gifts, we accepted old toys and other items to donate to the Humane Society of Pulaski County. Our wonderful guests brought so much stuff; the animals at the shelter are going to be very happy! I’ve always had this little twinge of guilt for buying Lulu from a breeder instead of rescuing a pet (although I have no regrets whatsoever), so it makes Lu and I feel good to help out the less fortunate. She and I will be dropping off all the goodies later this week.

When the party was over, Erik and I cleaned everything up and finally crashed on the couch with our tired little pup. She had such a great time with all her doggie friends, but she was ready for a nap! Here are some of the party pics (click a picture to make it bigger):


Her Invitation
back of invite
party favors!
the human food
yum!
best pies ever!
Birthday girl!
The hardest part was letting the dogs in without letting anyone out!
The "watering hole" was a big hit!





My mom the dog whisperer


Wolfie gave Claire lots of kisses
Our biggest and smallest guests hanging out

The birthday girl was getting tired!


Cake time!



Family photo
Tired pup!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Yay! I love new comments!